|Blossoming mint .....|
Here is a quick list of popular essential oils and their key characteristics. You can find oils that relax, center, and ground, as well as stimulate the senses and focus the mind… Each one is like a world unto it’s own.
Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus Globulus)
- Cool, fresh, energizing, focusing, cleansing
- Herbaceous, woodsy, camphorous, balsamic, penetrating, medicinal
- Helpful to the respiratory tract, the sinuses, headaches, sinus headaches, sore muscles and muscle aches.
Frankincense ( Boswellia Carteri )
- Meditative, calming, centering, spiritual
- Exotic, herbal, green, woodsy, camphorous
- Aids mature skin, wrinkles, and scars, supports coughs, the respiratory tract, bronchitis, nervous tension, stress and anxiety.
- A sacred oil, beneficial during meditation and prayer....
Grapefruit (Citrus X Paradisi)
- Stimulating, uplifting, refreshing,
- Sweet, citrus, fresh, aromatic, lush, juicy
- Supports the nervous system, is uplifting to the spirit, helps with depression, fatigue, headaches, oily skin and acne.
Jasmine (Jasminum Officinale)
- Calming, relaxing, harmonizing, uplifting
- Lavish, floral, romantic, exotic, sweet, intoxicating, lush
- Beneficial for the nervous system, supports anxiety, tension, nervousness and depression,
- Harmonizing to the spirit.
Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia)
- Relaxing, calming, centering, purifying, restorative, and soothing
- Green, floral, herbaceous
- Beneficial and supports the nervous system, anxiety, insomnia, headaches and stress, helpful to the sinus and respiratory tract, Aids skin care, acne, dermatitis, eczema, burns, inflammation, and insect bites.
Lemon (Citrus Limon)
- Refreshing, purifying
- Citrus, floral, fruity, sweet, clean, fresh
- Lemon supports the digestive tract and the immune system, aids acne, and oily skin.
- A beneficial essential oil to clean and deodorize the home.
Lemongrass (Cymbopogon Citratus)
- Refreshing, centering, uplifting, relaxing
- Lemony, green, floral, earthy
- Supports acne, excessive perspiration, fungal infections, and is a good insect repellent.
Orange (Citrus Sinensis)
- Cheerful, harmonizing, refreshing, warming, grounding
- Citrus, sweet, fruity, floral, fresh, aromatic, lush
- Uplifting to the spirit, supports depression and anxiety.
Patchouli (Pogostemon Cablin)
- Calming, relaxing, grounding, aphrodisiac
- Earthy, woodsy, spicy, exotic, bohemian, sensual, tenacious,unique
- Supports mature skin, wrinkles, dry skin, eczema, calming to the nervous system and can be used as a moth repellent.
Peppermint (Menthe X Piperita)
- Cool, fresh, energizing, cleansing, focusing, alert
- Minty, herbaceous, penetrating, sweet
- Peppermint supports the stomach and is helpful for digestion and nausea, helpful to the respiratory tract, the sinuses, sore muscles and muscle aches, benefits oily hair.
- Good for test taking as it's been shown to stimulate and focus the mind.
Rose (Rosa Damascena)
- Calming, warm, relaxing, balancing, purifying,
- Elegant, lush, peaceful, floral, romantic, serene
- Rose has been used for centuries in skin care. It strengthens capillaries, is used to treat wrinkles, mature skin, sensitive skin, and scars, supports the nervous system and is helpful for stress, and nervous tension.
- Beneficial for grief, opening the heart chakra, compassion, and forgiveness.
Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
- Purifying, grounding
- Herbaceous, camphorous, green
- Beneficial for oily skin and hair, acne, dandruff, headaches, nervous tension, stress, sore muscles and muscle aches
Sandalwood (Santalum Album)
- Sensual, grounding, relaxing, spiritual
- Woodsy, earthy, soft, tenacious, mellow, spicy
- Supports the nervous system, is an aphrodisiac, helpful with nausea and is calming to the digestive tract.
Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia)
- Purifying, cleansing,
- Medicinal, turpentine, camphorous, woodsy, mossy, spicy
- Anti-fungal, antiviral, antiseptic, antimicrobial, deodorizing, beneficial for skin care, fungal infections, viral infections, skin rashes, acne, blemishes, and oily skin.
- A powerful essential oil to clean the home.
What is your favorite essential oil? How do you like to use it?
Please let us know and share your insights below!!!!
If you know someone who would enjoy this article, please pass it on...
Be Well and Much Joy!
Patchouli: The Wild Child
Essential Oils: Do It Yourself Aromatherapy
Lavender Essential Oil: Benefits and Tips for Self Care
Essential oils are highly concentrated. A little bit goes a long way. Although essential oils are natural, if individual allergies or reactions occur, discontinue use. Check with a doctor before using if you are pregnant or using with an infant or child.
*Resources for this article: The Illustrated Guide to Massage and Aromatherapy, edited by Catherine Stuart; The Complete Illustrated Guide to Aromatherapy - A Practical Approach to the Use of Essential Oils for Health and Well-being, Julia Lawless.